Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Role of Chinese-Americans in U.S./China Relations

Ambassador Jon Huntsmen, Moderator John Chen, Ambassador Gary Locke
Gary Locke and Jon Huntsmen, both previous ambassadors to China, met at the 1990 Institute  in January to discuss U.S./China relations. Locke was not only the first Chinese-American governor to be elected on the U.S. mainland, but he was the first to be sent to China as an ambassador. He is also well-remembered for establishing a more accurate measure of pollution levels in Beijing.
Jon Huntsmen, who ran as a G.O.P. candidate in the 2012 Presidential election, served as Ambassador from 2009-2011. He speaks fluent Mandarin, created Mandarin programs in 118 schools in Utah where he was governor, and also adopted a little girl from China.
Both men spoke about America's recent focus on China, and why that was happening. They spoke about China's recent strength, and the development of the Asian International Infrastructure Bank. (See posts one,  two.) At the end of their discussion, an audience member asked about the role of Chinese-Americans in U.S./China relations.
Gary Locke: I’m proud of my Chinese ancestry and I’m proud of the contribution that the Chinese have made over thousands and thousands of years, and I’m proud of the Chinese influence that my mom and dad always instilled in me growing up, but I’m also an American and proud to be an American and proud of the American values of freedom, hope, opportunity, equality and diversity. Think about it. In China, could a person of my origin and background ever rise to a high position, whether as provincial governor or mayor or even an ambassador to another country? And here in America, we have Barack Obama as the first African-American president. I was the first Asian-American governor elected on the mainland. So it shows that in America, all things are possible.
But the question was, what can Asian-Americans do to foster US-China relations? I think we have an opportunity to tell the rest of the people in America about China—its history, its values, its culture, its complex society. We can help the policy makers understand that they shouldn’t expect instant results. China will never be like the United States. The U.S. will never be like China, just like it will never be like France or Germany. They have different systems, histories and cultures. And we can’t expect anything different from China. I think that we also as Chinese Americans should reach out and help people in China, whether it’s in scholarships or development of China. I think also, if we have an opportunity to visit China, we should showcase American values and freedoms. It may not make a difference in the next five years. It may not happen in the next fifty. But that’s one thing we can bring to China as well.
Jon Huntsmen: I tell my daughter, “You’re more important than I am. You are Chinese American and you can cross cultures.” I’m appointed to go to China, and they sent me as Ambassador. But my daughter bridges cultures. So the point there is, “Don’t forget your origins and history while living American values.” We can talk values. But when you live the values , there’s something being said without the words being spoken. Grace gets that. She’s now sixteen years old. She’s so proud of her heritage. But she’s proud of her American values—equality, fairness, human rights and the goodness we practice in this country. I wish we did a better job of it. Every Chinese-American can be a bridge of sorts by not forgetting their heritage that goes back 5,000 years, and blending it with the values of the new world. I think that’s very powerful.
(...to be continued. Next--and final--installment: Is Democracy Possible in China?)

No comments:

Post a Comment