Monday, November 7, 2016

Stanford MBA Grad Reveals Classification of China's Cities

I first met 27-year-old Stanford M.B.A. Grad Jason Jianyu Tu when he came to give a talk at US-China People’s Friendship Association. I was struck then by his energy and enthusiasm, as well as his humor and use of the language. He reminded me of my son. So when I heard he was about to leave for China, I wanted to get his thoughts on record. He agreed to meet me, even though he had just graduated, even though he was packing, even though he had just married his girlfriend the week before.  Boundless energy and enthusiasm.
We met in a small coffee shop, the constant background laughter of the cashier belying the often-serious subject matter. Jason said he has been fighting to succeed his whole life. He was born in a town so small that he hesitated to say the name. “No one can recognize it if I say it.”
Jason Jianyu Tu In His Village Across the River
In fact, he often tells people he is from Xian, the old capital city in the center of China, famous for the Terracotta Warriors. “About 125 miles to the south of that is my hometown.  Ankang.” Actually, he admits, he’s not even from that small place, but an even smaller village “across the river” from there.
“In China people classify cities into different tiers.” He explained that this kind of classification started on the internet, but now everyone takes it as gospel. 
”I think it’s really racist, but it’s interesting to know. Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen: these coastal cities are considered first tier. Second-tier cities are provincial capitals, like Xian or Suzhou. Third-tier cities have some major factories or economic activity going on. 
“I always tell people, if you classify cities by tiers, I’m probably from a sixth-tier city. In other words, there’s a very slim chance that you can be successful.”

(To be continued. Next: Bribing Their Way To A 2nd Tier City.)

1 comment:

  1. Hello! It looks like the writer of this blog is really very professional because I never read such kind of writing before. The way of writing and the way of using right words on right place shows some expert skills
    Asia slim

    ReplyDelete