Monday, March 6, 2017

Pt Lobos isn't Just Nature. It's History

Dynamic preservationist Gerry Low-Sabado, who lives in Fremont, travelled 90 miles to Monterey to show me her ancestors' village. (Post one.) Gerry then drove me around, and maneuvered around with the ease of someone used to making the trip. Our first stop was Point Lobos. 
Gerry was born in 1949 in Monterey, a fifth-generation Chinese-American, and grew up with the Beach Boys, the Beatles, peace and love.  
She was one of a handful of Chinese-Americans in town. She never realized that there used to be an entire Chinese village, until she retired from her job as the director of The Learning Tree in Fremont, and was piecing family information together for a reunion.
“I just told everyone, ‘Hey if you have anything you’re proud of, I’m making a brag book.”
Her mother’s cousin came forward to say that a picture she had taken was hanging in the Whaler’s Cabin at Point Lobos.
“This place is not just nature. It’s history.” 
At this point we had arrived at the gates of Point Lobos.
Gerry passed her name card to the cashier, saying “We’re going to see my Great Grandmother Quock Mui. Her picture is hanging in the back of the cabin. She’s the first documented Chinese female born on the Monterey Peninsula.”
The two cashiers looked at her funny. “Really?”
As we drove through the park, Gerry shook her head in disappointment. “People don’t know unless I tell them. That’s my job, I guess.’”
(To be continued. Next: Great-Great Grandpa Floated Into Carmel Valley on Junk)

No comments:

Post a Comment